The safety of our customers, our team and the public in general is our first and foremost responsibility; a responsibility we take very seriously. When used in accordance with the codes and rules of local, state and federal authorities including the National Fire Protection Association, propane is one of the safest and cleanest fuels one can buy.
Viking Propane Company is a “stickler” when installing and maintaining propane equipment. Our commitment is to ensure you and your loved ones continue to enjoy the benefits of every propane application in your home or business for years to come.
PROPANE HAS AS UNUSUAL ODOR, SIMILAR TO ROTTEN EGGS
Propane is heavier than air, therefore leaks will tend to settle to the floor or basement levels. To check for propane, carefully smell in low spots.
- Under some of the following conditions, you may not be able to smell a gas leak:
- Colds, allergies, sinus congestion and the use of tobacco, alcohol, or drugs may diminish your sense of smell.
- Cooking or other strong odors may cover up the smell of gas.
- On rare occasions, propane gas may lose its distinctive smell – this is called “ODORANT FADE.”
- Sometimes propane gas can lose its odor if a leak develops underground.
- Some persons are physically unable to detect the smell of gas. If you are one of these people, call us immediately.
For these reasons, we recommend that you install a propane gas detector according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SMELL GAS:
- Put out all smoking materials and any other open flame.
- DO NOT operate a light switch, telephone, cigarette lighter, appliance or thermostat. Any spark in the area where propane gas is present may ignite the gas under certain conditions.
- Get everyone out of the building immediately. Do not use garage door openers or electrically operated doors if possible.
- Go to the propane storage tank and close the vapor service valve (clockwise) to shut off the gas supply into the building.
- Call Viking Propane Company LLC immediately from a neighbor’s phone or cell phone outside and at least 50 feet away from the building.
- Have your Viking Propane Company LLC licensed and certified technician locate the source of the leak and repair it. The technicians will also relight any pilots that have gone out and remove any air that may have infiltrated your piping before you return to your home. The technician will also perform a leak test of your entire piping system to be certain there are no more leaks.